In a move to drive the pace of transformation and further strengthen the top team, Sacha Berendji, currently Retail Director, has been appointed to the new position of Retail, Operations & Property Director.
M&S has brought together its Retail and Property functions to more closely align its UK store estate management with the commercial retail team and Sacha’s new role takes effect from 1 April 2018.
As Retail, Operations & Property Director, Sacha will have overall responsibility for the company’s £3bn property portfolio at a time when it is undergoing significant transformation to meet customers’ current and future shopping needs. Prior to his current role, Sacha spent more than twenty years working in Retail and Property at M&S having joined as a graduate trainee in 1994.
Commenting on Sacha’s appointment, Steve Rowe said: “Given the focus we have on improving and rationalising our UK store estate, it makes sense to bring these two teams together. Sacha has a wealth of relevant retail and property experience which, combined with his strong bias for action, will help transform our shops to meet customers’ changing shopping habits.”
- Ends -
For further information, please contact:
M&S Corporate Press Office 0208 718 1919
Notes to Editors:
Making M&S Special
In November 2017 Marks & Spencer set out a transformation programme for the business concentrating on Restoring the Basics, Shaping the Future and Making M&S Special.
Under this transformation programme, Making M&S Special, M&S has to date announced:
- A slowdown in the Simply Food store opening programme
- An acceleration of the UK store estate programme
- The sale and franchise of its retail business in Hong Kong and Macau
- A new Technology Transformation Programme
- Improvements to its Clothing & Home Logistics Network
- The restructure of the Customer, Marketing & Digital Team
- The announcement of a new Food MD
People & Structure Changes
Since Steve Rowe became CEO in April 2016, M&S has set about streamlining and changing its operational and leadership structure. The Clothing & Home and Food businesses have been established as two separate business units, each with full P&L accountabilities, and independently managed.
Additionally, the senior leadership team has been strengthened by reducing in number and fully empowering its Operating Committee, and a number of senior hires, including:
- David Guise, HR Director, appointed October 2016
- Mel Smith, Strategy Director, appointed May 2017
- Jill McDonald, Clothing & Home Managing Director, appointed October 2017
- Victoria Self, Digital Director, appointed January 2018
- Sharry Cramond, Food Marketing Director, appointed January 2018
- Stuart Machin, Food MD, joining April 2018
- Humphrey Singer, CFO, joining July 2018