Food & Household
Find out about our approach to managing the sustainability of our food and household products
We are a major multinational retailer headquartered in the UK. We sell high quality, great value products to millions of customers through our stores in the UK and wholly-owned, jointly or franchised stores in over 50 territories across Europe, Asia and the Middle East.
Our products use thousands of raw materials from over 70 countries. This global nature of our business means we and our supply chain face a number of sustainability challenges. The global population continues to grow, putting pressure on natural resources, resulting in volatile input costs. Climate change is increasingly creating extreme weather disruption across our value chain. This is against a backdrop of significant social, political and economic instability in certain areas where we operate and source from, and at a point where there are significant growing global concerns around health and wellbeing. Our customers and employees are increasingly interested in all aspects of our products’ integrity, including quality, provenance, product safety, animal welfare and responsible sourcing.
We are a food specialist, not a supermarket. Our products are made exclusively for M&S and this unique position means they are not comparable with the rest of the market. We’re known for the quality, innovation and specialty of our food which in 2015/16 represented 58% of our turnover. We offer high quality food ranging from prepared meals, sandwiches and desserts through to farm produce, wine and flowers and household products. Our Food Group is responsible for ensuring these products are of the highest quality and our suppliers maintain the same standards – guaranteeing we deliver the inspirational products our customers expect.
Commitments and targets
- Adopt a sustainable approach to new product development and investment decisions
- Embed sustainability within the sourcing of key raw materials and commodities
- Promote and reward sustainable behaviour within our supply base
- Help our customers live more healthy and sustainable lifestyles
We have a history of firsts behind us. Here are just a few examples:
Since 2004, we’ve received over 50 awards in recognition of our accomplishments within the food arena.
- Securing the supply for all our key raw materials and commodities and ensuring that they are sourced with integrity
- Maintaining our market leading position on public health by driving health and nutrition benefits across our entire product offer
- Equipping our supply chain to be fit for the future through our industry-leading capacity building initiatives
- Tackling food waste within our business and supply chain and engaging our customers to store and use food more efficiently
- Being a retail leader on transparency by being as open as possible on the issues that matter most to our stakeholders
Working with others