Carbon Trust Award
M&S Receives the Carbon Trust Triple Award 2014
M&S is the first retailer to receive the triple award of certification for achievements in carbon, water and waste reduction from the Carbon Trust.
The Carbon Trust Standards are independent certifications recognising organisations that successfully measure, manage and reduce their greenhouse gas emissions, water use and waste, demonstrating leadership within their industry by making real year-on-year progress.
Some of the highlights M&S has achieved to receive this accolade include:
- Zero waste to landfill;
- Become a carbon neutral company
- Reduced energy use in stores, offices and warehouses by 31 per cent*
- Reduced store refrigerant gas carbon emissions by 60 per cent*
- Used two billion fewer single-use carrier bags in its food halls
- And tackled water-use in its stores and supply chain.
Tom Delay, Chief Executive of the Carbon Trust, said: M&S has a well-deserved reputation as a leading business when it comes to sustainability. By achieving independent certification the Carbon Trust Standard for each of carbon, water and waste then M&S is able to demonstrate year-on-year progress in achieving its goals.
* Against a 2006/07 baseline. For full details see 2013 Plan A Report.