SHOP WITH CONFIDENCE: M&S LAUNCHES CONTACT-FREE BRA FIT SERVICE IN ENGLAND & WALES
From tomorrow (Thursday 3rd December) M&S, the nation’s biggest lingerie retailer (selling 24 million bras a year) is launching a contact-free bra fit service at 64 of its biggest stores in England & Wales*.
The contact-free offering will be run by M&S’s team of lingerie experts and the consultations will include the following:
- Contact-free measurement (colleagues will show customers how to take their own underband measurements accurately with a sterilised tape measure and will assess cup size – all from a social distance)
- Advice on the different styles, shapes & options available at M&S (in-store and online)
- Help selecting & purchasing the perfect bra - from everyday options, to sports bras, to something special.
Prior to the second lockdown in England, the adapted service was trialled at five large M&S stores (Bluewater, Bromley, Kingston, Milton Keynes, and Westfield White City) with great customer feedback on the ‘safe’ and ‘helpful’ service – particularly for first bra fit appointments.
It is recommended customers get fitted regularly (every 6-12 months) as breasts fluctuate with weight and hormonal changes (particularly pregnancy). Wearing the correct bra size is critical for comfort, support, poise and most importantly confidence.
The adapted service will include the implementation of strict hygiene and social distancing measures to ensure customers can use the service with confidence. These measures include:
- Hand washing: Hand sanitisation stations will be at the entrance to all lingerie fitting rooms and customers will be asked to sanitise their hands on arrival; colleagues will wash their hands between every appointment.
- Social distancing: 2m distance to be maintained at all times between bra fitter and customer.
- Extensive cleaning: Fitting rooms to be cleaned after every customer including all surfaces & all tape measures, with a deep clean every evening.
- Quarantining product: All bras tried on and not purchased will be isolated.
- Face coverings: Colleagues will wear a face covering, visor and disposable gloves and customers will wear a face covering – like they’ll do whilst shopping the rest of the store.
All appointments for M&S bra fit will now be booked online to ensure contact details are collected for track & trace. Additionally, online booking will help M&S offer customers a better pre and post bra fit service with helpful appointment reminders.
Utilising digital technology
Digital technology plays an important role in how M&S Lingerie now serves customers. Over the past few months M&S has continued to offer bra fit advice to customers via its bra fit guidelines and online bra fit tool – which is used on average by over 20,000 customers a month. This technology will continue to be a focus for the retailer with customer shopping habits changed forever, and more lingerie purchases taking place online. Alongside this tool, M&S is utilising its in-store hand-held tech (Honeywells) to book customers in for appointments & look up stock online where needed. M&S Lingerie experts also use Microsoft Teams technology to collaborate as a team and stay up to date with new products available on the shop floor.
Laura Charles, M&S’s Lingerie Director said:
“Finding the perfect bra isn’t just about the garment itself, it’s about the perfect fit. We know our customers will continue to use online services and we’re working hard on improving those, but we also want to offer them the choice of an in-store experience, so we’re delighted to be starting our contact-free bra fit service. Customers can expect the great service they know & love, but adapted for this time, with extensive safety measures in place to protect our customers and our colleagues.”
M&S’s Lingerie team has been adapting not just its services but also its products. Pre-covid, around 25% of M&S bra sales were non-wired, today it’s over 33%. The team continues to innovate in order to offer customers the very best in comfort, quality, style & value.
M&S Lingerie is available in all M&S Clothing stores across the UK; the full offer is available online for click & collect to over 600 locations or contact-free delivery.
- Ends -
Note to Editors:
Customers’ favourite bras during lockdown
- Comfort is king – Comfort is undoubtedly the trend of 2020. Our Flexifit products with 360 degrees stretch fabric move with you for exceptional comfort & support and are available across bras, crop tops & knickers. One of our customers favourites is the Flexifit™ Non-Wired Full Cup Bra – available up to a H, it’s part of our inclusive size offering.
- On the move – With customers wanting to be active, sports bras have been a popular purchase throughout covid - in the first half of this year (April – September) sales were up +150%. Customers love the great value of our 2 pack high impact Good Move bras (just £30) and the pop of colour this pack offers with bright coral.
- A little luxury – Rosie for Marks & Spencer is now in its 8th year. Customers love her new lounge lingerie – crafted in soft rib fabrics to making lounging a little more luxurious. The ribbed lounge crop top at £18 is a bestseller.
- Something special – Whilst comfort is key, customers are still also looking for special and decorative lingerie too. In Autumn/Winter we launched our Boutique range – modern, confident & fun lingerie. Our Boutique satin & lace underwired balcony bra in black a customer favourite.
- Beautiful bralettes – As part of customers favouring non-wired options our bralettes which launched in 2017 have been popular. Our Louisa Lace bralettes are currently 2 for £18.
Stores where contact-free bra fit will launch
*The service is planned to start in Scotland & NI on 14th December (Lisburn, Argyle Street Glasgow, Braehead, Glasgow Fort, Gyle, Kinnard Edinburgh, Pollock Glasgow)
BIGGLESWADE RETAIL PARK
BURY ST EDMUNDS
ECLIPSE PARK MAIDSTONE
SOUTHAMPTON WEST QUAY
STRATFORD CITY LONDON
TRURO LEMON QUAY