100 YEARS OF M&S IN SCOTLAND – TIMELINE
Michael Marks opens his very first market stall in Leeds, selling simple haberdashery items such as buttons, needles and threads and household items such as scrubbing brushes.
(Images – Michael Marks; artist’s impression of his first market stall in Leeds)
Michael Marks goes into partnership with Thomas Spencer, as Marks and Spencer. They soon expand their chain of penny bazaars, moving into shops rather than markets and expanding into more towns.
(Images – Tom Spencer; the new partnership; typical Penny Bazaar merchandise)
1900s - 1910s
Expansion continues throughout England, with a growing range of products now sold for a penny, including a popular series of sheet music. One title from this best-selling series is ‘Gems of Scotland’ – a fantasia on Scottish melodies. Patriotic items prove popular with customers during the First World War, 1914 – 1918, including this special handkerchief.
(Images – sheet music 1910s, archive ref T27/3/114A; patriotic handkerchief c.1915, archive ref T1/34)
Michael Marks’ son Simon, in his 20s, becomes the Chairman of M&S. He will lead the company for over almost 50 years, including through two world wars. The difficulties of the First World War prevent further expansion of the business, but as the war enters its final stages, Simon is keen to establish branches in Scotland.
(Images – Simon Marks; typical shop south-of-the-border in 1910s)
Our very first Scottish store opens in Dundee, Autumn 1918! We take over the Murraygate premises of the ‘E Marks & Co Ltd’ bazaar which began trading in 1915. This belongs to Ephraim Marks, younger brother of M&S founder Michael Marks. Ephraim followed his brother’s lead in setting up his own small chain of Penny Bazaars, but Ephraim’s chain is not as successful. Most of his bazaars close, others are purchased by his nephew Simon and become part of Marks and Spencer. We advertise for staff in the summer of 1918, ready for opening at 40 Murraygate in early Autumn, and then we replace the E Marks & Co signage (shown) with our own.
(Images – the Dundee shop trading as E Marks & Co Ltd; typical merchandise)
Our first Glasgow store opens at 28 Argyle Street in 1919, offering Glasgow customers our haberdashery and household items alongside treats such as our popular series of colourfully illustrated children’s books, produced under our first own brand label, ‘Marspen’, which takes its name from our founding partners.
(Images – Glasgow Argyle St store, 1919; typical merchandise)
Our shops at this time are packed with a wide range of goods including popular household brands, such as Bird’s, Cadbury and Wall’s ice creams. Our earliest example of a local marketing ’promotion’ at any of our stores comes from the Glasgow, Argyle Street store in 1925 – we’re offering a special promotion on a popular brand of toffees, ‘Blue Boy’ toffees made by a supplier south of the border in County Durham. A costumed page boy encourages customers to buy
(Images – Argyle St shopfront; ‘Blue Boy’ promotion; typical store interior and staff)
Marks and Spencer becomes a public company on 17 June 1926. Our range of household items now includes more luxurious items such as beautiful art deco tea sets, with prices up to a maximum of 5 shillings to ensure these aspirational products offer good value for our customers. We also introduce our very first bra! It’s a simple cotton and rayon structure designed to give a smooth finish under the flapper-style drop-waisted fashions of the time
(Images - first bra, archive ref T81/18; light bulb, archive ref Acc/11/1020; tea cup, archive ref T34/33)
We register the brand name ‘St Michael’, for use on our top-quality lines. Our chairman Simon Marks names it in honour of his father, founder Michael Marks.
(Image – our first own-brand St Michael trademark)
We begin to work with Scottish suppliers for the first time. This window display from the 1930s features tinned ‘Fish for Lent’ and includes ‘Marshall’s Herrings’, which are ‘Real Scottish’ and ‘tasty and nutritious’.
(Image – tinned herrings in window display, 1930s)
The new Glasgow store opens on 30 April at 18-26 Argyle Street, offering significantly more space and more choice for customers. This includes the latest lingerie and fashions which we begin to advertise in this period.
(Image – Glasgow Argyle Street new store, 1930; advertising images, 1932)
Our first Paisley store opens at 15 High Street, Paisley, on 20 November 1931. This is our third store in Scotland. Paisley residents saw the transformation from the former premises of W S Esdaile & Co, mantle manufacturers, to the smart new Marks & Spencer Ltd ‘super store’.
(Images – before, during and after construction of our first Paisley store)
The Stirling store opens on 14 September 1934 at 39/41 Port Street. The prominent store windows are an important way of showcasing our products, so the displays change regularly and the art of window dressing becomes more important for our store teams.
(Images – the new store; typical window displays)
A second Glasgow store opens at 172 Sauchiehall Street on 29 November 1935, to supplement the Argyle Street store. More customers can now afford good value, high quality products so this store doubles our total Glasgow store space. The Sauchiehall Street store even offers customers a Café Bar, the first of our Scottish stores to do so. The most popular café products are sandwiches, cakes, ice creams and hot options such as chops. Our customer assistants now wear smart, co-ordinated uniforms for the first time, with dark dresses and starched white collars. At this time, store management teams were typically all male, but this soon changes with the onset of war in 1939.
(Images – the new Sauchiehall Street store and it’s Café Bar; typical staff uniforms)
The Ayr store opens on 31 May 1935 at 40/48 High Street. While half the size of our Glasgow stores, as the most westerly of our stores it is ideal for Ayrshire shoppers.
(Image – Ayr store, 1935)
On 7 August 1936 a new, larger store opens at 41/49 Murraygate, Dundee. It is more than twice the size of the previous Dundee store. On the site of the former Phins Limited premises, the impressive new premises feature the stylish architectural style shared by most M&S premises in the 1930s and attract quite a crowd.
(Image – prior to building work to create the new M&S; opening day crowds)
The Kilmarnock store opens on 11 September 1936 at 72 King Street.
(Image – the exterior and interior at Kilmarnock)
1939 – 1945
The Second World War.
Our Glasgow stores are pillars of the community during WWII, which as a key industrial target is hit by 11 bombing raids. The Argyle Street store supports the war effort and community spirit by organising events to entertain the wounded that include games, dancing and music.
The Sauchiehall Street store is proud to be home to some of the most decorated M&S colleagues to serve in the forces during the war. Those recognised for their dedicated service include Flight Lieutenant Robert James Greenfield, awarded a Distinguished Flying Cross and Distinguished Flying Medal, Sergeant Observer Robert James Alexander, awarded an MBE, and Flight Lieutenant Patrick G Kirkaldy, awarded a Certificate of Merit. Pat Kirkaldy returns to the Sauchiehall Street after the war and continues there until his retirement in 1968.
Charles Kean joins our Dundee store after the war, having served in Italy as a cook for the RAF. For his unit’s Christmas dinner, he was ordered to source 60 turkeys and recalls the generosity of the local community in Tuscany. He also met his future wife there!
(Images – Pat Kirkaldy’s retirement party, 1968; Charles Kean from Dundee store, 1970)
At the end of the war, Dundee store also welcomes the return of Pte. C. L. Smith of the Black Watch, who was held as prisoner of war and is now released.
With many male employees serving in the armed forces, female employees take on additional responsibilities for management and wartime duties and most of our Scottish stores became female-only. These Kirkcaldy store employees are part of the Fire Watching team that takes turns to keep watch on the store roof all night. Their role is to sound a warning in the event of bombs falling onto the store, and to try to prevent damage. This photograph shows Marion Cotterill, second-right, a firewatcher at the Kirkcaldy store in 1940-1941. Marion describes how the staff share firewatching duty; ‘If your turn was in the week you still had to be on the counter the next day after being on duty all night.’ Marion is called up to join the Women’s Air Force in 1941.
(Image – Marion Cotterill and the Kirkcaldy fire watch team)
At the end of the war, our stores window dressers mount Victory displays in the store windows.
(Image - Falkirk Victory window display, 1945)
Sadly, not all of our serving employees return safely from the armed forces at the end of the war. Included in the M&S Roll of Honour at our head office building in London is the name of Flt/Lt W C McIntyre (RAF) from Kirkcaldy store.
While the difficulties caused by the war hampers M&S’s expansion in the 1940s, one notable exception is in Aberdeen. At the time, it’s our most northerly Scottish store. The Aberdeen store opens on 2 February 1944 at 22 St. Nicholas Street. Until 1945 the store trades under the name Morrisons, having taken over the premises from Morrison’s Economic Stores.
(Images – showing the Morrison’s signage in 1944 and our own name in 1945)
Several of our Scottish stores are fulfilling postal orders for customers in the Highlands who are unable to easily travel to one of our stores. Customers simply send requests and payment through the post, decades before we introduce any official catalogue services or online shopping.
(Images – Glasgow Argyle St in the 1950s including interior and new look Café Bar)
A prime site on Prince’s Street, formerly a cinema, is acquired for a new store in Edinburgh, where we’ve never had a store before. These hoardings (pictured) give Edinburgh customers a glimpse of what’s to come! Building the store proves to be one of the most difficult projects Marks & Spencer and construction company Bovis have undertaken together, partly as the store will be situated beneath the Royal Hotel. However, it soon becomes clear that the structural condition of the building is much worse than first thought, and it’s necessary to demolish a portion of the hotel and rebuild it, resulting in a new seven storey hotel complete with a ballroom.
(Images – the former cinema, and the site under construction)
Edinburgh store opens on 12 June 1957 at 54-56 Princes Street. It’s our largest store in Scotland, covering six floors in total, with sales floors in the basement and ground floor, staff offices on the first floor, staff facilities on the 2nd floor and stockrooms on the floors above. The staff facilities include a dining-room which serves four-course lunches for under a shilling, a hairdressing salon and medical and dental rooms for staff welfare.
These photographs, taken just before the doors open, show the sales floors, enticing window displays and office staff. More than 3,500 local people apply for jobs at the new store!
(Images – Edinburgh interiors, window displays and staff, before the grand opening)
On opening day a queue begins to form just before 6am, ahead of the 9.30am opening. The queue is so large that police have to split it into three parts and by 7am anyone arriving is directed to the other side of Princes Street to join another queue. At 9.30 the doors are opened by assistant manager J. Johnstone and the crowds flood into the store. First through the doors is Mrs Jane Ferguson. Having been waiting since just before 6am, the M&S directors present her with a dress with our compliments and she selects a dress for one of her grandchildren. In the first hour's trading, the store sells 200 summer dresses, 190 blouses, 180 children's dresses and 120 nylon slips!
(Images – opening day queue and staff magazine article on the successful launch)
We begin to work with Scotbeef, the start of a long standing relationship with award winning suppliers for over half a century. The firm originally started as James W Galloway in the 1920s as a specialist retail butcher, and by the 1960s offers a wide range of products. They provide us with canned, cooked and bakery products that soon become customer favourites.
The Perth store opens at 134/138 High Street on 1 November 1962. It’s the 239th M&S store in the UK and, at the time, our most northerly Scottish store. Our Autumn 1962 staff newsletter St Michael News records that the new store receives an order even before it opens – a customer in Skye writes to order one of our popular terylene skirts! A special edition of our newsletter showcases the latest St Michael products that will now be available to Perth customers. With a focus on fresh rather than frozen chickens, made possible by our pioneering introduction of the cold chain, we ask ‘Good quality…good value. This is what Marks and Spencer is bringing to Perth. Who could ask for more?’ Newly recruited staff for the store include Sheila Bundy from Craigie, Perth, a customer assistant who’ll be advising customers on selecting the perfect St Michael bri-nylon stockings.
(Images – artist’s impression of new store; articles from staff magazine St Michael News; fresh rather than frozen chickens; customer assistant Sheila Bundy).
Work to expand and refurbish the Aberdeen store commences, including the stone-by-stone relocation of historic Wallace Tower (a fortified tower house built in 1600) which is on the site of what is to be the new rear store premises. The new site of the tower is at Tillydrone Road. This is the biggest new building project for M&S for several years, to provide larger premises and more choice to our customers.
(Images – Wallace Tower; store construction project)
The Glasgow Argyle Street store moves again, reopening on 8 June 1966, at the new, more spacious location of 2-12 Argyle Street. Alongside popular easy-care crimplene and terylene garments, Shetland Wool knitwear is available, with prices starting at 65 shillings for men’s cardigans.
(Image – new Argyle Street store)
The refurbished Aberdeen store opens in October 1966. Local distinguished city officials are present at the reopening of the store where a plaque was also unveiled. The increased selling space includes an enlarged food hall selling customer favourites.
(Image – the refurbished Aberdeen store; food packaging, archive ref T602/5))
On 10 October 1968 we open a new store in Hamilton. The store opens in the modern shopping precinct on Regent Way and is the tallest building in the shopping precinct. Customers are offered the very latest styles.
(Image – the new Hamilton store; 1968 fashion article from St Michael News)
We announce significant new investment in Scotland, with a £4million expansion plan. As well as improving our offer to customers, it will create new jobs and boost our Scottish suppliers who are already supplying us with £30million of goods each year.
(Image – St Michael News, September 1971, pg 2)
We pioneer machine-washable Shetland wool knitwear, with special shrink-resistance. Shetland wool has always been popular with our customers, and now it’s even easier to keep garments at their best, as we meet our customers’ demand for increased convenience. Convenience is also the name of the game as we begin to introduce new frozen food sections offering ready meals including lasagne, pizzas and prepared fish, perfect for busy customers.
(Image – St Michael News, November 1972, pg 1; frozen foods aisle, St Michael News November 1972, pg 3; typical frozen food display)
East Kilbride store opens on 5 July 1973 at Righead Gate, our 15th store in Scotland and the 251st store in the UK. The store’s location makes shopping with M&S much easier for many customers who have previously had to travel to one of our Glasgow stores. Over 100 customers are waiting for the doors to open, and some have been waiting since 6:30am! Some of our local suppliers are present at the store opening, including representatives from J H Jacks Limited, whose East Kilbride factory turns out 24,000 St Michael shirts for M&S each week.
(Images – artist’s impression; coverage in St Michael News, July 1973, pg 1)
Ayr’s new store opens on 7 November 1974. We work with the same architects (Monro and Partners) and builders (Bovis Construction Ltd) that built our first Ayr store in 1935, and work closely with the Royal Commission for Fine Arts to retain the town’s character, as the store is between the Auld Kirk where Scotland’s poet Robert Burns was christened, and the Auld Brig which has spanned the River Ayr for 6 centuries. The resulting design echoes the arches of the bridge and creates a public riverside walk linking Auld Brig and the Auld Kirk. The store is three times larger than the older store it replaces, offering much wider ranges of foods and fashions to our Ayr customers. On opening day, customers begin queuing at 7:30am, and first through the door are three 16 year-olds from nearby Prestwick. In the lead is Joyce Hawthorn, heading straight for her favourite St Michael product, gingerbread men, “because yours are better than anyone else’s”. Joyce and her friends also buy Cornish pasties!
(Images – the new store; Joyce Hawthorn is the first customer through the doors)
M&S now has 40 suppliers in Scotland supplying £73 million of St Michael merchandise each year.
Work starts on a new, larger store for Perth, just across the road from the existing store. It’s a fascinating site, as archaeological remains of the building where the Scottish Parliament sat and parts of the old city wall are found alongside pottery, leatherwork and items from a 16th century inn such as dice, chess and draughts pieces. All the finds are carefully catalogued and added to the local museum’s collection.
(Image – St Michael News, July 1976, pg 3)
The Perth store opens in its new home at 79/85 High Street on 8 June 1979. The new store offers twice the space of the previous store. And to coincide with the new-look store, Perth is the first UK store to unveil our brand new staff uniform, which is rolled out to all our stores by the end of 1980.
(Images – new store; opening day coverage in St Michael News; new staff uniform)
As Marks & Spencer’s European expansion continues, all the goods we sell in Europe are sold under our own St Michael brand, but if a line is Scottish we are proud to say so. This includes tartans, already hugely popular with UK customers, which prove a hit on the continent too. Produced for us by Geoffrey Laird-Portch, a former M&S trainee, at his East Kilbride factory, the tartan skirts, scarves, blouses, blazers and knitwear prove very popular with our European customers.
(Images – our brand; St Michael News reports that tartan fashions from our East Kilbride supplier are a hit in Europe)
We open a newly built store in Inverness on 28 October 1980. This is our most northerly store, bringing M&S products closer to thousands of Highland customers than ever before, and the sixteenth to be opened in Scotland. The first manager is Bob Macintyre who has been with the company for 26 years. Bob and his staff welcome over 30,000 customers on the first day of trading!
(Image – artist’s impression of the new store)
We introduce fresh salmon for the first time in January 1982, sourced from sea farms in the Scottish Highlands. Using new chilled fish technologies and controlled atmosphere packing, this is a world first – the very best salmon, fresh every week of the year. Soon, more than 1,000 fresh salmon a week are purchased by M&S customers.
Hamilton store becomes the first Scottish store to win the Chairman’s Cup. The Cup is awarded to the store which receives the most letters of praise from customers each year. Staff celebrate the win with a Tartan themed party.
M&S celebrates 100 years since founder Michael Marks opened his first market stall in Leeds. During the M&S Centenary year, each Scottish store launches a charity appeal to support a local charity, boosted by matching funding from M&S. Store colleagues organise fashion shows, fancy dress parties and sponsored events to raise funds for their local causes across Scotland.
The Glasgow Sauchiehall Street refurbishment project takes 18 months and culminates in a grand re-opening in August 1985, with special guest Mickey Mouse officially opening the store.
(Image – refurbished store)
Dunfermline store opens on 8 October 1985, in Kingsgate Shopping Centre. It’s M&S’s 267th store and to give the occasion a suitable Highland flavour two pipers play popular East Coast tunes to welcome eager customers.
(Images – artist’s impression; coverage in St Michael News, October 1985, pg5)
Alongside fresh Scottish salmon steaks, our growing convenience meal range now includes Salmon a la Crème made with fresh Scottish cooked salmon.
(Images – packaging designs for new ready meals showcasing Scottish salmon)
On 20 May 1986 a new Edinburgh satellite store opens at 104 Princes St. This soon becomes an all-furniture and home furnishings store with 20 complete room sets, furniture displays, carpet and fabric shop and the first St Michael lighting shop. Harvest, Autumn Leaves and Edwardian Lady are just some of the hugely popular homeware designs that customers flock to buy, with fully co-ordinated ranges being the key interiors fashion trend.
(Images – popular home designs Autumn Leaves, Harvest and Edwardian Lady)
The main Edinburgh store is refurbished to include an in-store bakery and delicatessen counters. Also, a new 51,000 square feet ladieswear store opens to join the other two M&S sites in Edinburgh.
M&S becomes the largest single retailer of haggis in the world! And to celebrate, we offer haggis tastings at in-store promotions, including musical accompaniment from a piper at the Glasgow Sauchiehall Street store. Aberdeen is our top performing store for haggis, selling £4,000 worth of haggis in the week leading up to Burns’ Night.
(Image – promoting our haggis at Glasgow Sauchiehall Street store, St Michael News, February 1989, pg3)
We open our first neighbourhood food store in Scotland, at Newton Mearns near Glasgow. This food-focused store is a fore-runner of our Simply Food and M&S Foodhall stores. The format proves a hit with customers – sales in the first week were a third higher than our forecasts. The store is opened by local schoolboy Gordon McQueen, from Newton Mearns Primary School, who arrives in a chauffeur-driven Rolls Royce to cut the ribbon in style with the local provost. As it’s also Gordon’s 11th birthday, store staff present him with a St Michael birthday cake!
(Image – opening of Newton Mearns, St Michael News, September 1991, pg 1)
The Inverness store is extended, to offer new home furnishings and food sections. Two pupils from local St Clements School open the extension.
The Gyle opens at the South Gyle Shopping Centre on 11 October 1993. This is our first out-of-town store in Scotland, as customer’s shopping habits change and larger premises are required to offer a fuller range of goods.
(Images – The Gyle store)
Working with our long-standing supplier Scotbeef we focus on traditional methods and high quality to increase our market share for steaks.
(Image – St Michael News, October 1994, pg 2)
We work with Scotbeef and top specialist beef farmers in Scotland to develop the Select Farm Scheme for St Michael Fresh Aberdeen Angus and Traditional Beef. This enables us to produce beef of consistently high quality and to establish a supply chain for beef throughout the UK, which allows complete traceability of every animal and ensures excellent animal welfare as well as tender and succulent beef for our customers.
(Image – leaflet on the Select Farm Scheme, archive ref HO/11/1/2/140)
M&S has 20 stores in Scotland, with sales of £700 million and employing nearly 5,000 people.
Inverness store colleagues help to promote a new range of regional foods including iconic Scottish products for a ‘Taste of Scotia’ campaign. As a born and bred Scot, Inverness store manager Larry Goldinger is keen that M&S offers highland visitors a traditional taste of Scotland. ‘Scotland is proud of and famous for its traditional food stuffs. I felt that if we could offer the things they wanted to buy it would increase foot traffic in the Scottish stores’. As a result of this work, M&S introduces new Aberdeen Angus pies, a ready meal of ‘Haggis, Neeps & Tatties’, Empire biscuits, connoisseur handmade shortbread, cheese scones and Highland breakfast goods. In response to feedback from customers, we also make our Scotch Pie more authentic! Inverness staff help to promote the new lines with a photo shoot at Inverness Castle.
(Image – ‘Taste of Scotia’ feature in St Michael News, September 1998)
All of the fresh and smoked salmon we sell in the UK comes from Scotland, including in our recipe dishes – over £50 million per year, making M&S the biggest retailer of Scottish salmon. 40% of all the fish we sell is sourced in Scotland, including large quantities of Scottish haddock. In total, 10,000 people are employed in producing Marks & Spencer products at our Scottish suppliers, producing goods worth over £700million per annum.
M&S allocates £400,000 to community projects in Scotland this year, including seconding two managers to projects at Scotland Against Drugs and the new National Museum of Scotland.
(Image – article in St Michael News, August 1998, pg 2)
In August we launch a new UK-wide marketing campaign to promote our Scottish Salmon, ‘perfect for when you’re fishing for compliments’.
(Images – archive ref HO/11/3/2/86)
In October we sponsor the week-long Scotland ’98 food initiative in London’s Covent Garden, promoting high quality Scottish produce to a wider audience. TV cook Lesley Waters from ‘Can’t Cook, Won’t Cook’ prepared dishes using Scottish ingredients.
(Image – article in St Michael News, November 1998, pg 6)
M&S Braehead opens at the Braehead Shopping Centre, Kings Inch Road, Glasgow, in September 1999. M&S now has over 20 stores in Scotland, employing almost 5,000 people.
(Images – Braehead store)
We launch our very first online shopping service. Initially with a small product range of just 200 lines, this service will expand to become a huge benefit for customers in remote Scottish locations keen to keep up to date with the latest M&S fashions.
We phase out the St Michael brand and give our stores a fresh ‘Your M&S look’, and launch our stylish Autograph clothing range, to be followed by per una in 2001.
We open our very first Outlet in Scotland, at the McArthur Glen retail part at Livingston, in November 2000.
Inverness store colleagues stage a roadshow on the Isle of Skye. The islanders flock to the show where they are able to purchase schoolwear, lingerie, womenswear, menswear and home items.
We start to work with the Orkney Fishermen’s Society in the Orkney Islands. All crab is caught in Orkney waters by local creel fishermen using traditional methods, while crab and lobster tagging initiatives help to ensure that local shellfish stocks remain healthy and protected for future generations of local fishermen. There are around 30 boats catching lobster and crab on a week to week basis, mostly crewed by 2 but some larger ‘vivier’ boats are crewed by 5-6 people.
The first M&S Simply Food store in Scotland opens at the Ocean Terminal shopping development in Leith, Edinburgh on 9 April 2003. Simply Food stores started to open in England in 2001 but this is the first exclusive M&S food offer north of the border, offering our customers great quality and convenience. A series of Simply Food stores in other Scottish locations follows.
We introduce our own brand Scottish LochmuirTM salmon, exclusively from our supplier Scottish Sea Forms of Oban, so that our customers know they’re getting best quality salmon.
Our newly launched Le Bistro range includes Scottish LochmuirTM Salmon
(Image – Le Bistro packaging)
We begin to source delicious traditional Scottish biscuits from the Island Bakery on the Isle of Mull. Led by a husband and wife team the bakery is powered by local hydropower and oven fuelled with local wood, using all local ingredients including butter from the dairy next door.
We open a Simply Food store at Edinburgh Airport on 1 October 2014, our first Scottish airport location at Scotland’s busiest airport.
We start working with Associated Seafoods Ltd of Speybay. Our LochmuirTM salmon is taken to their small smokehouse on the shores of Speybay in northern Scotland, where it is cured in salt by a master smoker, then smoked over oak using fresh whisky-cask shavings from local distilleries, using techniques largely unchanged in 100 years. The result is a smoked salmon with a velvety texture and unique depth of flavour.
We partner with the Edinburgh-based distillery, The Old Curiosity, to introduce our customers to 100% naturally distilled gins infused using flowers and herbs and free from chemicals, sugars, fruit extracts or flavour compounds. The gins keep the natural properties of the plants they’re made from so, when tonic is added, the spirit’s original colour changes.
Hand dived king scallops appear in our freezer section for the very first time, from the Orkney Fishermen’s Society. Gathered by hand by divers from inshore waters off the Orkney North Isles of the Scapa Flow, 3 divers work from each of two inshore day boats harvesting throughout the year.
Our new M&S Foodhall opens in Oban on 30 August 2018. With no other M&S store within an hour, this is a key location for local communities and tourists alike, at the gateway to the Hebrides, and the store serves neighbouring isles including Mull. It’s one of our two dual language stores in Scotland.
One hundred years on from the opening of our very first M&S in Scotland, we have 100 stores across Scotland including inspirational full line stores, Foodhalls and over 30 food franchises in Scottish service stations, hospitals, railway stations and at Edinburgh Airport. In 2018 M&S remains committed to sourcing the best of Scottish produce, with a network of over 40 food suppliers in Scotland, who work with more than 4,000 local Scottish farms. To celebrate 100 years of serving Scotland M&S announces a special four-month centenary ‘Taste Trail’ tour across Scotland, profiling the best of Scotland’s food producers and exhibiting never-before-seen archive photography and history of M&S in Scotland.