M&S is promising its customer a real summer to remember this week, as it launches its brand new summer advertising campaign.
Airing for the first time tomorrow, the centre piece of the campaign is a beautifully shot TV ad that takes customers on a journey through the perfect British summer - including a fun filled garden party hosted by all time favourite M&S model Twiggy. All of this is accompanied by an exclusively recorded cover of the George Harrison summer classic, Here Comes The Sun - sung by Gary Barlow.
Other much loved M&S celebs Myleene Klass, Dannii Minogue, Noemie Lenoir, Lisa Snowdon and Jamie Redknapp also feature in the ad, which captures the sense of nostalgia and romance that is typically associated with a lazy summer day.
The gang are seen enjoying a selection of quintessentially British pastimes – from a traditional egg and spoon race to a game of garden tennis – that climaxes with a good old fashioned bonfire sing-a-long. The twist is that the music is provided by Gary himself.
Steve Sharp, Executive Director of Marketing at M&S, said: “It's going to be the summer of a lifetime for our customers and we want to do something extra special to mark this celebratory year. Just like the Royal Family and our sporting heroes, M&S triggers a unique reaction in the hearts and minds of the British public and this campaign really encapsulates that sense of fondness and nostalgia.”
Star of the campaign, Gary Barlow commented: “It's great to be back with M&S and it's real a privilege to cover such an iconic track. You can't better perfection but I hope we've given it a modern twist that will capture the mood of the nation and provide the perfect anthem for summer 2012.”
Using the strap line, On your Marks for a summer to remember, each scene focuses on simple celebrations with friends and family. A 60” and 90” edit will each showcase how M&S food, homeware and fashion will add the finishing touches to this summer's special events – however you chose to celebrate.
The ad will air for the first time during Wednesday 4 April's episode of Emmerdale. However, M&S fans can receive a sneak preview by visiting the retailer's website from early Wednesday morning.
For more information contact:
Corporate Press Office: 020 8718 1919
Out of hours: 020 8718 2000
Notes to editors:
- The ads were shot by London-based agency Rainey Kelly Campbell Roalfe/Y&R and directed by Martin De Thurrah.
- Twiggy made her M&S debut in 1967 and returned in 2005 as part of a new look line-up for the retailer. Her first design collaboration was announced this month and Twiggy for M&S Woman is available online from 12 April 2012.
- Noemie Lenoir was as a member of the 2005 line up, which was credited with helping reposition M&S as a serious fashion force.
- Myleene Klass joined M&S in 2007 and most recently was the face of M&S TV.
- Gary Barlow, along with his Take That band mates, were the 2008 faces of Autograph menswear.
- Dannii Minogue first appeared for M&S in its Spring/Summer 2010 fashion campaign.
- Both Jamie Redknapp and Lisa Snowdon joined the M&S family in 2010 and have gone on to become the faces of the M&S Man and M&S Woman brands.
Back to press releases index
Back to top