Marks & Spencer today launched a seasonal recruitment drive to take on an extra 20,000 employees across its UK and Republic of Ireland stores this Christmas – 5,000 more than last year.
Last year more than 1 in 5 of the 15,000 recruits were made permanent employees after finishing their seasonal contracts.
Based in over 500 stores, the roles available include customer assistants, M&S Café assistants and store operation roles. All new recruits take part in a two day induction training session to ensure they are fully-equipped to offer the best possible customer service. Recruits will also receive the excellent reward package available at M&S, including a 20% discount on M&S products.
Steve Rowe, Director of Retail at M&S, said: “Customers turn to M&S for the most important occasions, trusting us to deliver delicious Christmas lunch, latest fashions and fantastic customer service.
Christmas at M&S
- In the week leading to Christmas last year, our customer assistants helped more than 35 million M&S shoppers
- At least 400,000 hours will be worked every week by M&S employees in the lead up to Christmas – equating to over 400 years of time over the entire festive season spent helping customers find the perfect gift for their loved ones
- Over the festive season last year, our customer assistants helped to sell over 33 million mince pies, 1.25 million turkeys, 1 million thermal tops and 514,000 pairs of boots
“We want to make sure that our customer needs are met so we're putting the call out for 20,000 passionate, service-centred recruits to come join the team and help make it a merry Christmas for millions of M&S shoppers.”
Applicants can find full role descriptions and details of the application process at www.marksandspencer.com/careers.
Applicants should be prepared to work evenings, weekends as well as Bank Holidays over the Christmas and New Year period.
Notes to Editors
- All applicants must have the name and address of two referees and be able to show that they are eligible to work in the UK.
- Applicants must be of compulsory school leaving age or over.
- Contract lengths will vary. Christmas recruitment starts from September in some stores with the majority of contracts ending in December or January.
- Placements are in M&S premier, major, high street, outlet and Simply Food stores.
Back to press releases index
Back to top